Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review: Sex God

I surveyed my 2009 Shelf the other day, and I wasn't too thrilled with what I found. It's like I've gone on a fiction binge since college ended, and while that was fun for a while (and tempting to return to since Alruff raved about this), intellectually I crave books that will jar my brain, or at least rattle it.

So on my last trip to the library, I stayed far away from my favorite fiction section and chose to wander non-fiction for a while. One of the titles I found was the one up for review today by Rob Bell. I have to warn you, I am highly skeptical of Rob Bell. Theologically, we dissected his work at lot in school and found a lot of it lacking or at least not articulated well. But although the first few chapters of his book started off exactly as I expected it to, the last few definitely gave me exactly the kind of brain jolting I wanted.

Genre: nonfiction (theology)

Plot Synopsis: The book begins with an introduction to the "new-but-not-really-new" of "this is really about that," i.e., most of what we talk about or argue about or think about is about one thing on the surface, but really about another, deeper thing. This is basically the heart of his book--sexuality is really about spirituality.

Chapter 1 I really can't tell you what it was about, because I'm not sure myself; it was all fireworks and glitter but no substance (which is exactly what I expected of Rob Bell). Chapter 2 explains how sexuality is really just connectivity, which means that any relationship is based in sex somehow. Chapter 3 discusses the two extremes in viewing sex: as a crude, physical thing with no true value (the angelic, or gnostic, view) and the carnal hedonism that refuses to think of anything spiritual happening (the animal, or Epicurean view). Chapter 4 approaches the dark subject of lust and how to overcome it. Chapter 5 recalls a junior high dance to make a metaphor about the inherent choice and power found in love, both human and divine. Chapter 6 continues the theme of chapter 5, this time focusing more on the divine side.

Chapter 7 speaks of the intimacy of marriage, and the danger of losing it. Chapter 8 also speaks of marriage, specifically about the unity and intimacy of "two becoming one." Chapter 9 looks to the future, anaylzing Jesus' words in Luke 20:34-36 and positing that actually, marriage is just a temporary window into the state we will all be in at the Final Age. The Epilogue closes with a touching story of a marriage between two broken people that itself implodes a few years later. The point is to simultaneously shatter your rosy expectations of marriage and to give you hope; for although life is a messy business, Bell believes God can heal anyone and anything.

Structure: Each of the chapters is a pretty quick read, unless you stop to read all 173 endnotes (most of which are just Scripture references, but sometimes are short essays on some point he's making). Always opens with a recollection or story, and always closes with some sort of provacative statement. Which is good, I guess, just a little repetitive.

Execution: Bell, of Nooma fame, is known for painting powerful pictures or giving interesting perspectives on a theological subject, and this is mostly what he did in the first five chapters. Comparing God to a junior high girl, humanity to lipstick, sexuality to friendship; it's all very typically Bell. The biggest thing I disagreed with was his clearly Freudian view of sexuality, i.e. that any relationship is rooted, grounded in sex (which he sees as simply connectivity with others). I disagree, and believe that my friendships with my best friends/bridesmaids, or with my good friend Alex for that matter, is entirely divorced from any sexual feelings towards them. Likewise, this is what makes my relationship with Nicholas so special; he is the only person I have a deep, meaningful relationship with that is also sexual in nature.

If there were some way to remove chapters 7-9 from the other chapters, I would do it and recommend it to any dating couple. Bell gave very interesting, thoughtful, Biblically-grounded views about marriage, submission, intimacy, oneness, and Jesus' mysterious words about "being like angels" is all about. Some of the passages here were very moving, and sparked great discussion between Nicholas and myself.

A word about his use of the Greek/Hebrew: I normally cringe when authors insist on citing the original languages, because it's very hard to test their use of it (even for theology students). However, Bell used a fair deal of it, about 70% I was familiar with already and can verify that his use of these words are quite sound. So, I think he's fairly credible.

Theme: theology, God, sexuality, marriage, Hebrew, Greek

Read this if well, if you're already a fan of Emergent Church authors like Bell, William Young or Don Miller, obviously you will like it. But I would say that even more conservative students like myself will find some things to enjoy about it, even if you disagree with a lot more than you agree with.

3 out of 5 stars

Other works:
Velvet Elvis (his most controversial work so far)
Jesus Wants to Save Christians

If you liked this, you might also like:
C. S. Lewis' The Four Loves
There are SEVERAL commentaries out there about Song of Solomon, but I would suggest in particular Intimacy Ignited by Dillow & Pintus.

3 comments:

  1. I read Velvet Elvis and rather liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read it (Nicholas has), but the biggest thing I heard about it from my school mates was that it was very slippery; i.e., on one page, advocating Sola Scriptura, on the next denying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was that, actually, but in a way I felt wasn't incoherent or just old-fashioned backpeddaling, but made sense.

    On some level I think the "slippery" charge, maybe, comes from Bell playing it safe to some of his audience. Maybe he was trying to reach out to too many Christians with different views of Biblical interpretation. Indeed, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it should you read it.

    ReplyDelete