Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Top Shelf

If you couldn't gather already, I read a lot. Just as wine connoisseurs enjoy the pleasure of the drink itself, I too enjoy the process of reading for its own sake.

But like sommeliers, I too have my favorites, the few books that I will take the time to read multiple times or that I will readily recommend to just about anyone. These are the reviews that get 5 out of 5 stars.

That's what this page is for; these are the cream of my literary crop, so to speak, the very best of the best. It's not about how old they are or how many weeks they spent on the New York Times' Bestseller List (does that even mean anything anymore?); these are my personal favorites, my treasures, the masterpieces I've stumbled upon.

Here is a list in progress:
Rasputin's Daughter - Spellbinding historical fiction
The Gum Thief - Witty and unlike anything you've ever read
The Rose and the Beast - Ingenious prosetry and imagination
Under the Table - Cooking + Memoirs = recipe for success
The Christian Mind - Intriguing, scathing look at modern Christianity
Til We Have Faces - A masterpiece from a cherished author
Christianity for Modern Pagans - Passionate, powerful, and profound
The Cross of Christ - Will forever change your view of the atonement; theologically sound and a literary triumph
The Time Traveler's Wife - Beyond beautiful; a perfectly realized romance
The Dogs of Babel - Haunting; lingers with you far after the last page
Snow Falling on Cedars - Another achingly beautiful work with excellent drama
First Love - Unparalleled in its creativity and execution
The Philosopher and the Druid - historically accurate storytelling

No comments:

Post a Comment