Monday, May 25, 2009

Audiobooks: imposters among us?

Hello dear children, did you miss me? I'm back from my awesome weekend fun just in time to see lots of doctors and pack up for my next two-week adventure to Chicago.

I used to HATE driving, especially the 5 hour trek from Fort Worth to Houston, between my college and my hometown. Bleh. However, then I discovered this wonderful new toy, the audiobook, which can be procured FOR FREE at the library. O happy day!

Since then I have used this medium to keep myself awake on several long trips as well as read more books than I'd normally have a chance to do. Ah, but there's the question...am I really reading them? Is reading a book at all different than listening to one? Is the idea of a book intrinsically bound in the paper, the printed words, the act of turning pages?

On the one hand I want to say yes, since I'm a staunch non-fan of Kindle and all its other eBook cousins (the machines will kill us all!!!111). I wouldn't trade the heft, the weight, the real experience of reading as long as I am physically able to. However, like I said, this does allow me to take in/"read"/experience more books/stories than I'd be able to before.

So it all comes down to this: should I add The Memory Keeper's Daughter (my latest audiobook) to my 2009 shelf? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment